If they have questions, you’ll have answers
The Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion is one of the most talked about news topics in Canada. If conversations with friends and family turn to this issue, here are some facts about the main themes you might find helpful.
- Expanding the pipeline will create billions in revenue for more jobs, roads, schools and hospitals across Canada and will help fund Canada’s transition to greener energy.
- The Trans Mountain Pipeline has been in place for over 60 years. Every day the expansion is delayed, Canada loses out on $80 million. That’s money that could be used to help improve our communities from coast to coast.
- Pipelines are the safest, cheapest and greenest way of moving oil to market.
- When there isn't enough pipeline capacity, oil from Alberta has to be shipped by more expensive, less efficient and less environmentally-friendly means, such as rail cars or trucks.
- The Trans Mountain Pipeline terminal has never had a single spill.
- Current safety measures ensure Canada’s coastal waters are well protected.
- New safety measures will raise the level of safety to well above already high global shipping standards.
Get updates in your inbox.